It has been 4 years since How I Met Your Mother ended, but the show still continues to be on the mind of a large number of loyal, truly head-over-heels fans.
There is something about this show, that still does not let me forget and I have been re-watching the series every now and then.
Today we revisit 5 most tragic and saddest moments of HIMYM, that were really heart breaking for the characters as well as the fans, and let me tell you, it is gonna be Legen-wait for it-dary, Legendary !!
- Season 6 Episode 13 Bad News, when Lilly tells Marshall that his father had a heart-attack and he passed away: We have to say, Jason Segel (Marshall) nailed it. The emotional breakdown, Marshall repeatedly saying “I am not ready for this” while crying, it all went perfectly. This was a truly emotional moment for the fans as well.
The timing was so perfect, Marshall calls his dad to give him the good news about his fertility, but he does not pick up. Then Lilly comes and tells Marshall that his father has passed away.
- Season 6 Episode 19 Legendaddy, when Barney meets his real dad and his family for the first time: Neil Patrick Harris is no doubt a damn good actor, but in this act NPH nails down the emotional breakdown. Barney starts insulting his step brother J.J. by saying what does J.J. even stand for and his dad responds by saying Jerome Junior (Jerome is Barney’s father’s name) which makes Barney storm out of the house in anger and envy. Jerome goes outside to find Barney attempting to take J.J.’s basketball hoop down from the wall because he says that if J.J. got a childhood, a dad and a family, then he deserves the basketball hoop.
Barney insults his dad by saying that he’s lame, to which Jerome retorts by asking why it angers him. Barney replies by saying “if you were going to be some lame suburban dad, why couldn’t you have been that for me?!”
The group returns to Ted’s new house for his future family and Barney gives the hoop to Ted and says “a kid needs a hoop”.
It was the moment we all felt sorry for the rich playboy Barney Stinson, because it reflects how much he needed a father growing up. And, how his father’s absence in his life made him the way he was, and made him unsure of relationships. Image courtesy : google search
- Season 1 Episode 22 Come On, Ted makes it rain, and ends up kissing Robin and just when a happy Ted reaches their apartment. He see, a broken Marshall, sitting in the rain crying holding the engagement ring. This was a truly heart breaking moment for Marshall, and for Ted as well, because he always idolizes the relationship of Marshall and Lilly.
The impact of this scene was such that many fans still hate Lilly’s character for leaving a loving and faithful partner like Marshall for a fellowship program in San Francisco, which she could not complete and came back.
- Season 6 Episode 18 A Change of Heart, Barney Stinson who has always been a playboy and a sociopath, we get to see how deep down he is a man who wants to settle down, fall in love, and have a family.
Lilly insists that Barney genuinely does want to settle down and get married, but Barney denies this. Nevertheless, Barney goes to the brunch to tell Nora about his feelings for her; he enters the restaurant, seeing Nora with her parents, and makes a heartfelt speech about how he loves Nora and she forgives him, and introduces him to her parents. Barney like a real gentleman greets her parents, sits down with them. We genuinely feel happy for Barney and Nora, and the moment feels like those happy endings. However, the scene turns out to be a figment of Barney’s imagination, he is watching Nora with her parents from outside the diner and leaves before Nora sees him. This reflects how Barney considers himself unworthy of relationships and is afraid of commitments.
- Season 9 Episode 24 Last Forever part 2, when Ted tells the kids what he learnt from all those years and how much he loved their mother, and Tracy (the mother) passes away.
Ted says: It was at times a long, difficult road. But I’m glad it was long and difficult, because if I hadn’t gone through hell to get there, the lesson might not have been as clear. You see, kids, right from the moment I met your mom, I knew… I have to love this woman as much as I can for as long as I can, and I can never stop loving her, not even for a second. I carried that lesson with me through every stupid fight we ever had, every 5:00 a.m. Christmas morning, every sleepy Sunday afternoon, through every speed bump. Every pang of jealousy or boredom or uncertainty that came our way, I carried that lesson with me. And I carried it with me when she got sick. Even then, in what can only be called the worst of times, all I could do was look at her and thank God, thank every god there is, or ever was, or will be, and the whole universe, and anyone else I can possibly thank that I saw that beautiful girl on that train platform, and that I had the guts to stand up, walk over to her, tap her on the shoulder, open my mouth, and speak.
This was also a very hurting moment for the fans, because the show ended and it was the last time we were seeing our beloved characters. Whom we fell in love with and loved for 9 long years!!
Special mention: When Barney see his daughter for the first time, this was a special moment when no one has expected that Barney could love his child so fiercely. NPH performed this scene so beautifully, it highlights how much Barney values and missed parent-child love in his life.
Barney says: [crying while holding Elle, his newborn baby girl] you are the love of my life. Everything I have, and everything I am, is yours… Forever.
So, these are top 5 saddest moments in How I Met Your Mother. What did we miss, tell us your favorite moments from HIMYM..
Meanwhile, I am gonna watch again season 1 of HIMYM : )